Any Marvel Comics fans here? Remember Marvel Team-Up?
It was a way to leverage Spider-Man’s popularity to get kids interested in other Marvel characters. The stories were… so-so. The art, well, let’s just say that the top illustrators were typically assigned to other titles. But, in one way, the title was awesome - it was just plain fun. No angst. No drama. Just two characters coming together to do good - like @TimeJunkie and @HotWatchChick69 coming together to do a charity watch auction!!!
The watch is donated by our esteemed and generous colleague, @TimeJunkie!!!
[No dinosaurs this time - just Buddha statuettes]
YEMA Navygraf Marine Nationale
All proceeds go to GiveDirectly.org. GiveDirectly.org DIRECTLY sends on funds to recipients in some of the poorest countries on Earth, with an incredible track record to-date. The effort sprang out of the Effective Altruism movement.
The first 10 auctions worked out spectacularly, in which our esteemed colleagues,
@Bessio @Robcollects @Ichibunz @Deeperblue @Edge168n @Jklotz @CliveC @laurik @tempus and @Al_Ra_Ra have helped to raise $17,542 for Kenyan families living under the global poverty line of $1.90 / day. All of the auction proceeds went directly to them, and the funds from the 10 auctions thus far will effectively double the incomes of 48 families for a year!
Here's what I propose:
• Let's open up bidding at, say, $20
• Please post your bid by commenting below
• The highest bid by Friday, November 4, 12pm PT wins the watch
• Here’s where we do some real good for charity: If you are the winning bidder, please then Paypal or Venmo me the winning bid amount. I will make the donation of your winning bid, plus get a match for that amount! Thus, every $1 of the winning bid will get doubled!!!
• Let me say that again - every $1 of the winning bid will turn into $2 donated to GiveDirectly!!!
• I will then post the screen shot of the full donated amount! *
So, in summary:
• Win the watch
• Have the entirety of the proceeds go towards lifting a family out of extreme poverty
• DOUBLE the size of your charitable contribution
The one caveat to all of this is that I have already maxed out my employer's matching charitable contributions for the 2021 calendar year. Thus, I will need to hold onto the cash until January 1, 2023. On January 1, 2023, I will then make the charitable contribution through my employer's matching funds portal.
I hope I've conducted enough of these charitable auctions that folks won't suspect me of trying to pull a heist of some sort! Doing 10 other charitable auctions, only to try and pull a fast one on #11 would truly be an admirable "long con" though!
My favorite Danny Devito quote:
I love money. I love money more than I love the things it can buy. Does that surprise you? Money. It don't care whether I'm good or not. It don't care whether I snore or not. It don't care which god I pray to. There are only three things in this world with that kind of unconditional acceptance. Dogs... doughnuts... and money. Only money is better. You know why? Because it don't make you fat and it don't poop all over the living-room floor. There's only one thing I like better: Other people's money